Up for sale is my March 1965 Mustang, matching numbers C code car, with the 289 V8 with C4 transmission. The car has had a lot done and spent on it since I bought it around 5 years ago and will be sold with a new MOT. V5 present with me as the only UK keeper as I imported it from Los Angeles myself, belonging to a fireman, I have the original California special firefigher licence plates to go with the car. I have the original door tag which was sprayed over but can obtain a replica for the new owner if required.
I have spent more than £15000 on the car in recent years, having completed the following works:
1. Power disc brake conversion with brand new discs, master cylinder and flexible front brake hoses.
2. New shock absorbers all round and rear spring hangers.
3. New front anti roll bar links
4. New radiator, thermostat and coolant
5. Recent engine oil and filter change
6. Recent transmission fluid and filer change. We retrofitted a sump plug to the transmission pan as there isn’t one from the factory.
7. Full bare metal respray back into original champagne gold – photos available which show no evidence of rot or panel replacement.
8. Renovated factory specification wheels and brand new white wall tyres, have done less than 200 miles
9. New upholstery and carpets
10. New tartan pattern boot floor liner
11. Brand new rear chrome bumper
12. New window regulator bushes – these always fail causing the windows not to roll up and down properly and sag
13. Retrofit of windscreen washers as these were not fitted at the factory.
14. Exhaust silencers (cherry bombs) and pipework behind is all new. Sounds great without being annoying
Floors, sills and chassis rails/legs are all original and not hidden in or behind layers of paint or gunk. There is one very small thin patch on the driver’s side floor at the front. Being able to see this is very important in my opinion as you really do know what you’re buying if you can see it rather than pushing a screwdriver through loads of waxoyl and being disappointed long after you’ve purchased the car.
I have had the air conditioning working but now needs a re-gas. The clutch on the compressor clicks in when the a/c is switched on, so the system does work.
The engine bay is original and hasn’t been ‘dressed up’ in any way. Radiator, thermostat and coolant are all less than a year old. The valve covers are aftermarket and could do with a clean up. The car has factory power steering and air conditioning. The power steering is the old style Eaton pump as the car is a very early March 1965 build and shared some features with the 1964 ½ cars at this time including the early type power steering. Squeals a little when steering is turned when car is stationary. I have had this looked at and no obvious problem has been found and has never affected the drive. We have also seen others where it does the same.
This car could easily be taken onto show condition without major components being replaced. This includes cleaning up some of the brightwork, dealing with one or two minor chips/blemishes, sorting the radio and speakers out and minor trim items. The headlining has a few stains which whist there are no big deal. There is a small tear in the material near the rear left window winder. The car is 98% there insomuch as you can get straight in and go and if picky iron out these little things as and when.
I am being honest with the fact that the car has obviously had 5 figures spent on it and is most certainly not a project car but to be 100% perfect needs a few minor details as detailed above. Please come and have a look before making any decisions as once sold there will be no comebacks. This is not a trade sale, its my weekend car that I am selling this car because I am building a house which all potential buyers will also see if they come to view! I am not desperate to sell cheap and quick. I don’t want to cause offence so please don’t ask if you want a cheap Mustang as I feel it’s a genuine car. If you need permission from your partner or need to ask mum and dad if its okay to buy the car then please don’t make an offer either, as we are really busy and just need a smooth sale. Obviously disregard the mileage as one can never tell if the speedometer is original or has been replaced over the life of the car.
Any sensible questions just ask, the car will not leave until cleared funds are deposited. I will accept cash or bank transfer or a combination of both. Euros and dollars accepted too in cash. I invite people to come and have a look, I can get the car up on a 4 post ramp for a more detailed inspection.